Sunday, February 7, 2010

What are you grateful for?

Three years of nursing. Though I haven't quite seen it all, I have seen enough that I at least know how to handle some of the situations. I have an idea of what to do, how to react, how to intervene, and I am starting to know what to say. I only know very little, I don't know enough, but I know some. 

Today, a newborn baby died in our OR. After working on the baby for 1/2 hour, we did get a faint pulse at some point, but it just wasn't meant to be in the end. 

What do you say to the parents after, who spent an hour with us at PACU? How do you ask the typical questions of "how are you feeling?", "you feeling alright there?", "any pain?", "you feel ready to go up to the ward?"... etc. I was at lost of words. And I wonder how I will ever learn to handle such situations. 

I am grateful that I was born healthy. What are you grateful for?

3 comments:

  1. I am grateful most of my patients are in relatively good health (ie not hospitalized). I'd rather deal with an angry customer than have to break that news...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am grateful for everything i have because i know that it could all be gone in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow... it's crazy how you're constantly in life/death situations, Joanas. I'm grateful for your job... there are not many out there who can handle those kind of situations, and to come with the reality of life/death on a daily basis.

    "I can do everything through Him who gives me strength"

    and yes~ i'm excited to be back soon!

    ReplyDelete